[sword-devel] Many bugs in Byz strongs

sword-devel@crosswire.org sword-devel@crosswire.org
Sat, 30 Nov 2002 00:13:17 +0500

I found the list some bugs in Byz parsing. SOMEBODY WITH ALL NECESSARY SKILLS
AND TEXTS SHOULD CREATE THE LIST OF CORRECT FIXES.

I enumerate all the cases where there are two strongs in a row (without words
and morphological codes between them), I also point these strongs:

Matthew 16:17 - 920 2495
Matthew 17:8 - 3441 3440
Matthew 26:12 - 846 3778
Mark 4:8 - 1722 1520
Mark 4:8 - 1722 1520
Mark 4:8 - 1722 1520
Mark 4:20 - 1722 1520
Mark 4:20 - 1722 1520
Mark 4:20 - 1722 1520
Luke 6:23 - 5024 5023
Luke 6:26 - 5024 5023
Luke 8:42 - 846 3778
Luke 8:46 - 5100 5101
Luke 10:1 - 3739 3757
Luke 17:30 - 5024 5023
Acts 22:4 - 5441 5438
Acts 27:8 - 2568 2570
Acts 27:8 - 2568 3040
I Corinthians 10:8 - 1501 5140
Philippians 3:20 - 3739 3757
James 2:24 - 3441 3440

Only one of these places (I Corinthians 10:8) is the place where two strong
numbers are assigned to one word concatenated from two words, as there are no
strong number for the entire word. (Well, may be this word should be just
split to two words by inserting a space?)

All the other places are meant to identify two alternate parsings of one word.
Many (seemingly >50%) of these places have obvious mistakes. We need to fix
these, or at least provide the readers with an errata pointing the correct
fixes.

Firstly, we need guidelines on strongs and morphology when several strongs.
The only reasonable rules are in the next paragraph:

In all places except of the case of I Corinthians 10:8 (where one word is
concatenated from two strongs) we need to point the morphology form after EACH
strong, not only after the last strong. (Currently there is only one form,
often wrong for at least one of these two strongs.) The same morphology form
must be repeated twice if both strongs have the same grammatical form (as
otherwise it is not distinguishable from cases like 1Corinthians 10:8 when
these strongs are not variants but one concatenated word).

Also one fixing bugs note one word forward and one word back after the word
tagged by two strong in a row, as the strongs are often mistakenly duplicated
(so that for ONE Greek word the strong is repeated twice).

The list of fixes shall be sent to the Byz editor "c/o SEBTS, P. O. Box 1889,
Wake Forest, NC 27588." (not sure whether "c/o" is a part of the address), to
the e-mail seventh.guardian@juno.com (this e-mail probably does not respond),
and to sword-devel@crosswire.org .

--
Victor Porton (porton@ex-code.com)