[sword-devel] .conf lang tags

Martin Gruner sword-devel@crosswire.org
Tue, 5 Nov 2002 22:17:21 +0100

>  From first thought, I would suggest keeping the single language tag
> that represents the primary module language, and add addtional AuxLang
> tags which represent other languages that are contained within the
> module.  This will allow a frontend to select a unicode font with all
> pertinent pages populated.

Hey Troy,

that might not always be possible. Imagine a chinese-korean dictionary, and a
user having a special font for chinese (only) and another one for korean
(only). How should he work that out?

Providing the possiblity to use a unique font for each language is our aim
with BibleTime, because this might be required in certain situations. Our
previous paradigm was having one Latin-1 font, and one font (like Code2000)
for all non-Latin-1 modules. That worked to a certain point, but is
definitely not the optimal solution, because even Code2000 does not support
all languages (like Chinese) correctly, or render each language as nice as
possible.

Therefore we need a way to determine the language of each single key of a
lexicon, because it may have keys in different languages. Or another solution
which would avoid the problem I described above. I am not so much asking this
for myself or the western Latin-1 world, but for the users who come from
other areas of the world.

Martin