[sword-devel] Chinese Beta Modules

Steve Tang sword-devel@crosswire.org
Sat, 2 Nov 2002 08:54:19 -0700 (MST)

Jonathan,

If you would, contact shyu@fhl.net directly. The gentleman's name is
Hapiru (I have no idea if this is first or last) who returned my email
which basically says that anything on their web site is designed so
anyone is welcome to publish as freeware.

I wonder if we can get a blanket statement as such or get one signed for
each module made.

I need to download your attachment later since I'm in a city library now.

Also I don't know if this is relevant: I have renamed it to ChiUn as Chris
had suggested next time I upload update.

On 1 Nov 2002, Jonathan Hughes wrote:

> Date: 01 Nov 2002 22:12:07 -0500
> From: Jonathan Hughes <jhughes@crosswire.org>
> To: sword-devel@crosswire.org
> Subject: Re: [sword-devel] Chinese Beta Modules
>
> Steve,
>
> 	Thanks for securing permission for us! That is great to have another
> module for the public to use. Could I ask you to contact the person you
> got permission from and ask for two(2) copies of a written permission
> outlining what they have granted us. I like to have a written permission
> letter from copyright holders for our records. If you could either
> forward those copies to me or just have them sent directly to me that
> would be wonderful!
>
> Jonathan Hughes
> Copyright Coordinator
> CrossWire Bible Society
> POB 60241
> Reno NV 89506
>

> On Fri, 2002-11-01 at 11:36, Chris Little wrote:
> > On Thu, 31 Oct 2002, Troy A. Griffitts wrote:
> >
> > > 2 new beta modules are available, thanks to Steve Tang's recent efforts!
> > >   Thanks Steve!!!  They are in the usual beta download area either from
> > > the web or installmgr:
> > >
> > > UNV		- traditional
> > > UNVs		- simplified
> > >
> > > and they include Strong's numbers!
> > >
> > > Try em out and let us know what you think so we can get them to the
> > > general public quickly!
> >
> > I just have a couple of comments about the module name that I think should
> > be addressed before we release publicly.
> >
> > These Bibles are identical to the ChiGU & ChiGUs modules except for the
> > inclusion of Strong's numbers, correct?  I think the "UNV" and "GU" are
> > significantly different, though they're trying to express the same thing.
> >
> > We also, with only a couple of exceptions that will eventually be fixed,
> > always preface version names with 3-letter abbreviations of the language
> > name--here "Chi" for Chinese.  Minimally we need to add something like
> > that.
> >
> > I don't have a suggestion for reconciling GU & UNV or for expressing that
> > this module contains Strongs.
> >
> > --Chris

Steve Tang...