[sword-devel] RPM package improvements

Stuart D. Gathman sword-devel@crosswire.org
Wed, 22 May 2002 13:54:45 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 22 May 2002, Martin Gruner wrote:

> > As was mentioned, they are only installed with the devel package.  The
> > question was: when the devel package *is* installed, should the man pages
> > go in the /usr/share/doc/sword-devel-1.5.3 directory, where they are out of
> > the way but harder to consult, or in the /usr/share/man/man3 directory.
> Hm. I am not convinced of the need for a dev package though. Whoever wants to
> develop should use (anonymous) cvs. There is probably only need for a
> well-written sword rpm that users could install (just the lib), or what do
> you think?

The sword-devel package is not for sword developers.  It is for developers
who are *using* the sword package in their own project.  For example,
GnomeSword and BibleTime developers.

> Atm BibleTime rpms include a static sword in the binary. We have to supply
> additional files (like locales) as well, which can conflict if users already
> have a sword rpm installed. Now if a good sword rpm exists, we can probably
> switch over to requiring that one and have sword dynamic. I think this would
> be the cleaner and more obvious solution.

The gnomesword RPM uses and depends on the sword RPM.  The sword-devel
RPM must be installed in order to compile the gnomesword package.  However,
only the sword RPM is required to run the gnomesword package.  The sword
RPM contains:

The /usr/lib/sword directory contains the utilities.  I would like to make
RPMs for the text modules as well.  End users should not have to unzip
in a magic directory as root and then run mkfastmodule.

			Stuart D. Gathman <stuart@bmsi.com>
		"Microsoft is the QWERTY of Operating Systems" - SDG
  (HINT: The song is "Dies Irae" from the Mozart Requiem.)