[sword-devel] es.conf file

Steve Tang sword-devel@crosswire.org
Tue, 7 May 2002 06:36:19 -0600 (MDT)

Please correct if this is not right:
It looks to me like the design intention of the frontend, be it X or
Windoze (which I'm using now,) is to treat ASCII and UTF-8 words the same
way. We're not there yet, since all edit boxes don't display foreign
language correctly.

What I did was this:
*copy abbr.conf from source locales.d directory to install locales.d dir.
*rename it to cn.conf and edit it as follows
*In [Meta], change to Name=cn, and Description=Chinese
*In [Text], change Exodus=Ex to Exodus=<Exodus in Chinese in UTF-8
encoding>
*In [Book Abbrevs], add a line: <Chinese Exodus>=2

When sword is started, it gave a dialog saying something like <Chinese
Exodus> doesn't have a toupper ... which makes me think that the code
attempt to use a C function called 'toupper.' Grepw choked so I can't find
where in the source codes this function is called. I will write a perl
script to do a subdirectory grep to find it.

Non-alphabetical languages can't have 'capital' letters as we know it,
BTW.

On Mon, 6 May 2002, Jan Paul Schmidt wrote:

> Date: Mon, 6 May 2002 23:30:34 +0200
> From: Jan Paul Schmidt <jps@methusalix.net>
> To: sword-devel@crosswire.org
> Subject: Re: [sword-devel] es.conf file
>
> On Mon, May 06, 2002 at 09:51:28AM -0600, Steve Tang wrote:
> > Has anybody tried this with other languages (UTF-8)? I tried to put
> > together a Chinese version and it didn't work.
>
> Could you be more precise? UTF-8 is not a language, but a character
> encoding and you did not say, what did not work. For example, if you
> used the sword library in a own program or if you used one of the
> available frontends.
>
> jps

Steve Tang...