[sword-devel] Faster searching wanted

Trevor Jenkins sword-devel@crosswire.org
Sat, 30 Mar 2002 18:51:38 +0000 (GMT)

On Sat, 30 Mar 2002, Nathan Youngman <sword@nathany.com> wrote:

> Sword seems pretty slow to execute searches. I'm kind of wondering
> how it's indexed.
>
> Unfortunately I don't have a lot of technical expertise on B-trees
> and stuff to optimize searching. ...
> Is any work being done on this?

Sheepishly (but then aren't we supposed to be sheep) I put up my hand say
"yes". Why so? because I haven't been able to work on it for sometime.

But my work isn't based on B-trees, which have n log n times. Hashing is
much faster, which are effectively O(1)---and yes it is possible to hash
without either a fixed sized table or without a large prime number.

Regards, Trevor

British Sign Language is not inarticulate handwaving; it's a living language.
Support the campaign for formal recognition by the British government now!
Details at http://www.fdp.org.uk/ or http://www.bsl-march.co.uk/

--

<>< Re: deemed!