[sword-devel] Project Gutenberg Etexts

Chris Little sword-devel@crosswire.org
Mon, 24 Jun 2002 10:35:47 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 24 Jun 2002, David's Mailing List and Spam Receiver wrote:

> I was wondering if anyone had an idea as to how easy it would be to make the
> Project Gutenberg Etexts available as sword modules. I was thinking it would
> be nice to convert things like Augustine's City of God and Confessions and
> have them available as general book modules.

Step 1:  See if anyone else in the world has a copy of it and use theirs
instead.  CCEL has Confessions, for example.

Step 2:  If no one else has the text you want to use, start putting the
Gutenberg copy into imp format.

The problem with Project Gutenberg is that all the books are in plain
ASCII, with NO markup.  So you will need to insert paragraph breaks,
minimally.  You may wish to insert scripture reference tags, if present.
And many pieces of markup like emphasized text have been lost thanks to
Project Gutenberg.

There's no (reasonable) possibilty of an automatic converter like thml2gbs
for Gutenberg works since they lack markup and any kind of organization.

Good luck though!  I'm sure CCEL would be happy to take books like City of
God if you put them into a good XML format.

--Chris