[sword-devel] I created lexicons/dictionary editor with GTK 2

Mon, 24 Jun 2002 11:31:37 -0500

On Monday 24 June 2002 05:42 am, Victor Porton wrote:
> OK, so I am going eventually to port my program to Windows.
> May be it will become the hypothetical "Sword Writer" for LDs or there is a
> need of a native Windows application? In any case, everybody of you can
> borrow the code (when it will become stable) from this my GTK program for
> creating an analogous Windows app.

Native is good. The gtk+ 1.2 or whatever windows port had some really
bad-nasty memory leaks. I don't know if those got fixed in the 2.0 port. I
remember the problem was because Win9x (and ME) are especially whiny about
how you destroy resources. But until someone can write a windows "Sword
Writer" program a gtk port is better than nothing.

> Concerning Linux version of "Sword Writer", I think it should be several
> separate programs (one for LDs, other for Bibles etc.) So consider my very
> beginning of writing of GTK LD editor as staring of Sword Writer.

Separate programs isn't necessarily the way to go here. What you could do is
write a "Sword Writer" core that handled all the functions and provided a way
for there to be plugable modules for the various components. Much like the
way the KParts system works in kde.

David's Mailing List and Spam Receiver
  Keeping me (relatively) spam free since 2002