AW: [sword-devel] Marketing of sword initiative?

Christian Renz sword-devel@crosswire.org
Fri, 14 Jun 2002 12:25:38 +0800

>* To reach out to Chinese people, word of mouth is powerful. One hurdle,
>IMHO, is unicode support, esp. in Windows. e.g. 1.5.3 seems to move the
>bible text screen down too much. My guess is that a Chinese UTF-8
>'character' is actually a word in Chinese and is rendered to occupy two
>character positions.

I don't quote understand what you mean -- maybe you can explain your
problem in more detail? A 'character' in UTF-8 is always the same as
in UTF-16, Big5, ..., or on paper. It is rendered to occupy one
character position. The number of bytes used in memory to represent
this character is a different thing, though. I am not aware of a
concept of 'word' for any Chinese encoding. Indeed, splitting a series
of Chinese characters into words is still a research topic (although
it seems good progress has been made).

I noticed that when selecting a verse (via the book/chapter/verse
widgets), the windows version would not display the verse
correctly. This was true for KJV as well, though. But this is
corrected in the new beta release ('F').

Maybe you can check out the screenshots I posted for the Chinese
dictionary module. Does the rendering look the same on your computer?
I use Arial Unicode MS right now.

Or maybe I am overlooking something very basic -- my Chinese is still
quite feeble (I am not actually able to read the Chinese bible fluently,
that's why I did the dictionary), so that might be the reason for it ;-)

Greetings,
   Christian

--
crenz@web42.com - http://www.web42.com/crenz/ - http://www.web42.com/

"Thirty was so strange for me. I've really had to come to terms with
the fact that I am now a walking and talking adult."  -- C.S. Lewis