[sword-devel] need advice on modules, copyrights, etc.

Steve Tang sword-devel@crosswire.org
Fri, 5 Jul 2002 04:47:18 -0600 (MDT)

Mr. Dolphin takes care of Stedman library and he was very responsive to
work with people to have the libraries (he has another site) distributed
widely. His email address is dolphin@best.com.

There are brothers who take care of copyright issues for Sword. I don't
know the details though.

Steve Tang...

On Wed, 3 Jul 2002, Ross, Perry wrote:

> Date: Wed, 3 Jul 2002 16:26:27 -0400
> From: "Ross, Perry" <Perry.Ross@ca.com>
> To: "Sword-Devel (E-mail)" <sword-devel@crosswire.org>
> Subject: [sword-devel] need advice on modules, copyrights, etc.
>
> I was thinking of making a commentary module from Ray Stedman's "Adventuring
> through the Bible".
> (See http://www.pbc.org/dp/stedman/adventure/index.html).  I've read the
> instructions on using the
> module-making tools, and that all seems pretty straightforward, but I had
> some questions on copyrights.
>
> The copyright on all Stedman material allows copying for free distribution
> under the normal conditions
> (no modifications, distributed in full with copyright intact, etc), so as
> far as I (a non-lawyer) can tell,
> I'm perfectly welcome to package this material up in a module and give it
> away.  However, I would
> be inclined to ask for permission anyway, just to be sure everyone is happy.
> Is this generally done?
> Are there any sample letters that people have used?  What kind of
> documentation does crosswire.org
> need to have before a module goes on the website?
>
> What about more challenging modules, such as old books that are presumably
> in the public domain?
> For example, Seiss "Apocalypse" was copyrighted in 1865, but is still in
> print today (and claimed to
> be under copyright).  Let's assume I feel like scanning and OCR'ing 800-some
> pages.  Is it legal?
> Would I have to scan an old copy whose copyright has expired?  And would I
> need to keep some
> sort of proof that that's what I did?
>
> Sorry for so many question marks.  If anyone has any ideas, they'd be
> welcome.
>
> Thanks!  -- Perry

Steve Tang...