[sword-devel] need advice on modules, copyrights, etc.

Ross, Perry sword-devel@crosswire.org
Wed, 3 Jul 2002 16:26:27 -0400

------_=_NextPart_001_01C222CF.E8969880

I was thinking of making a commentary module from Ray Stedman's "Adventuring
through the Bible".
(See http://www.pbc.org/dp/stedman/adventure/index.html).  I've read the
instructions on using the
module-making tools, and that all seems pretty straightforward, but I had
some questions on copyrights.

The copyright on all Stedman material allows copying for free distribution
under the normal conditions
(no modifications, distributed in full with copyright intact, etc), so as
far as I (a non-lawyer) can tell,
I'm perfectly welcome to package this material up in a module and give it
away.  However, I would
be inclined to ask for permission anyway, just to be sure everyone is happy.
Is this generally done?
Are there any sample letters that people have used?  What kind of
documentation does crosswire.org
need to have before a module goes on the website?

What about more challenging modules, such as old books that are presumably
in the public domain?
For example, Seiss "Apocalypse" was copyrighted in 1865, but is still in
print today (and claimed to
be under copyright).  Let's assume I feel like scanning and OCR'ing 800-some
pages.  Is it legal?
Would I have to scan an old copy whose copyright has expired?  And would I
need to keep some
sort of proof that that's what I did?

Sorry for so many question marks.  If anyone has any ideas, they'd be
welcome.

Thanks!  -- Perry

------_=_NextPart_001_01C222CF.E8969880

<HTML>
<HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
5.5.2655.35">
<TITLE>need advice on modules, copyrights, etc.</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">I was thinking of making a commentary =
module from Ray Stedman's &quot;Adventuring through the =
Bible&quot;.</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">(See <A =
HREF=3D"http://www.pbc.org/dp/stedman/adventure/index.html" =
TARGET=3D"_blank">http://www.pbc.org/dp/stedman/adventure/index.html</A>=
).&nbsp; I've read the instructions on using the</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">module-making tools, and that all =
seems pretty straightforward, but I had some questions on =
copyrights.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">The copyright on all Stedman material =
allows copying for free distribution under the normal conditions</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">(no modifications, distributed in =
full with copyright intact, etc), so as far as I (a non-lawyer) can =
tell,</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">I'm perfectly welcome to package this =
material up in a module and give it away.&nbsp; However, I would</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">be inclined to ask for permission =
anyway, just to be sure everyone is happy.&nbsp; Is this generally =
done?</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Are there any sample letters that =
people have used?&nbsp; What kind of documentation does =
crosswire.org</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">need to have before a module goes on =
the website?</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">What about more challenging modules, =
such as old books that are presumably in the public domain?</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">For example, Seiss =
&quot;Apocalypse&quot; was copyrighted in 1865, but is still in print =
today (and claimed to</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">be under copyright).&nbsp; Let's =
assume I feel like scanning and OCR'ing 800-some pages.&nbsp; Is it =
legal?</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Would I have to scan an old copy =
whose copyright has expired?&nbsp; And would I need to keep some</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">sort of proof that that's what I =
did?</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Sorry for so many question =
marks.&nbsp; If anyone has any ideas, they'd be welcome.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Thanks!&nbsp; -- Perry</FONT>
</P>

</BODY>
</HTML>
------_=_NextPart_001_01C222CF.E8969880--