[sword-devel] Latex and Sword !?

Christian Renz sword-devel@crosswire.org
Tue, 2 Jul 2002 23:19:14 +0800

I haven't really thought it out yet, but just wanted to see whether
there is any interest in this crazy idea (maybe somebody wants to
participate?): A sword-package for Bible references in Latex (for
those of you you don't know what it is, don't worry. Keep using MS
Word ;-)).

I'm imagining a Latex style file and some utility similar to bibtex --
maybe just a small perl script using Joachim's SWIG interface, so that
we can write something like

    \usepackage[english,bible=KJV]{swordtex}
    Paul writes to the Corinthians: \scripref{2 cor 3:18}. Luther
    translates it this way: \scripref{GerLut1545}{2 cor 3:18}. In
    chapter 4, verse 2, Paul continues: \scripref*{2 cor 4:2}.

Then a

    swordtex test
    pdflatex test

would create something like (Scriptures abbreviated, am too lazy to
type ;-)).

    Paul writes to the Corinthians: "But we all, with unveiled face,
    beholding as in a mirror ... by the spirit of the Lord." (2
    Corinthians 3:18). Luther translates it this way: "Nun aber
    spiegelt sich....als vom Geist des Herrn. (2 Corinthians 3:18,
    Luther 1545). In chapter 4, verse 2, Paul continues: "But we have
    reounced... in the sight of God".

By using \usepackage[german]{swordtex}, we could switch from

    2 Corinthians 3:18

    2. Korinther 3, 18 (the German way to refer to it)

And of course, we'd also want to have multi-verse citations, maybe
even with verse numbers etc.

What do you guys think?

Greetings,
   Christian

--
crenz@web42.com - http://www.web42.com/crenz/ - http://www.web42.com/

"What we call Man's power over Nature turns out to be a power exercised
by some men over other men with Nature as its instrument."
    -- C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man