[sword-devel] Build problems with CVS

Chris Little sword-devel@crosswire.org
Sun, 6 Jan 2002 13:01:51 -0800

> > I have the same kind of box.  I could'n't compile the CVS
> either until
> > Chris suggested that I go to several of the subdirectories and do a
> > manual 'make clean' in them.  Then I could compile.  But, the
> > libsword.a file is 19.3MB, not 1.6MB as the binary package
> installed.
> > Haven't figured out why, yet. JLK
>
> I had to do the same. But since 1.5.2 compiles fine there has
> to be a problem
> with the Makefiles.
>
> My idea is that my box is too fast for the Makefiles. Don't
> laugh, with a
> slower PC the same CVS compiled fine!

It acts like it's a threading issue.  The problem is definitely more
prominent on faster machines.  It also definitely occurs more frequently
on computers running RH 7.1/7.2 (as compared to 7.0) -- which might mean
our makefiles don't like some recent versions of make tools (ar
perhaps).

I don't think anyone really understands the problem, let alone the
solution.  But I think we need to fix this for the 1.5.3 release.

Also, there are reports of the same build errors with 1.5.2 and the
makefiles have not changed very much since 1.5.2.

Anyone feel like tackling this problem?

--Chris