[sword-devel] Copyright Law

Jerry Hastings sword-devel@crosswire.org
Wed, 20 Feb 2002 11:12:15 -0700

At 11:19 AM 2/20/2002 -0600, Don A. Elbourne Jr. wrote:
>I am also a little blurry on copyrights pertaining to translations that were
>done by a committee, since the life of the author seems to play into the
>length of the copyright. Does anyone know how this applies?
>
>Don A. Elbourne Jr.
>http://elbourne.org

For works Created 1-1-78 or after:

Life + 70 years(1)(or if work of corporate authorship, the shorter of 95
years from publication, or 120 years from creation(2)

(1) Term of joint works is measured by life of the longest-lived author.
(2) Works for hire, anonymous and pseudonymous works also have this term.

See: http://www.unc.edu/~unclng/public-d.htm .

Looks to me like, if the "committee" does joint authorship it would be
based on the longest-lived author. If some corporation, such as a Bible
society is the author, then it is the shorter of 95 years from publication
or 120 years from creation.

Jerry