[sword-devel] Copyright Law

Jerry Hastings sword-devel@crosswire.org
Wed, 20 Feb 2002 09:59:41 -0700

>I have been following this for several years. I am sure there are many
>commentaries and religious works that would fall into this window if Eldred
>wins the case, but are their any Bible translations that would be affected
>either now or in the near future?

I believe there are. Off the top of my head I don't remember which ones. I
do remember looking into some work not long ago and it was one year too
new. However, this is only about US copyright law. One of the reasons for
passing the extensions to the copyright act was to bring us into compliance
with international treaties and laws. We could again be in the situation
where in the US a work is PD but in the EU and other places it is
copyrighted. What is needed is a world wide roll back of these long
copyright terms.

Jerry