[sword-devel] kjv2003: two splits needed?

Eeli Kaikkonen sword-devel@crosswire.org
Sat, 14 Dec 2002 00:57:44 +0200 (EET)

On Fri, 13 Dec 2002, Keith Ralston wrote:

> Would six years of undergrad and graduate Greek work come close enough that
> I have your permission to comment?  Not to mention two years of exegesis.

Definitely yes.

I never wanted to say that any of you is unreliable or that I know
better. It is just that if I don't know the level of someone's knowledge
I cannot trust his opinions more than mine. See, anyone can quote some
books like I do and give justifications for his views according to the
knowledge he has. Some people just have more knowledge than I.

Now we know my level and yours. It's a pleasure to see that at least one
person here (and probably more) has more expertise than I have. This is
not about boasting of one's skills or anything like that. I just think
that knowing each others background helps us in giving credit to good
thoughts and being sceptical in a healthy way. In scholarly word
everyone has a title and a bibliography. That's how we value them.
Hopefully not because we look at manly wisdom more than divine wisdom,
but because it is a way to see how much one might know.

Moreover, I didn't want to sound like I despise someone's comments. My
thinking is very analytical and I love to understand a new thing by
heart and head more than just take someone's word for it. That's why I
insisted justifications. I don't take anyone's authority for granted.
I have been trying to digest the new information you and the others have
given to me.

Hope this cleared the air. Sorry if I have been stretching your
nerves. Now when I think about my previous postings I well might have
sounded like I keep my opinions better than of others. Sometimes it even
may be true - I'm far from perfect. Please forgive me.

Gal 5:15

  Sincerely Yours,
      Eeli Kaikkonen <eekaikko@paju.oulu.fi> Suomi Finland