[sword-devel] Psuedopigrapha

Daniel Adams sword-devel@crosswire.org
Fri, 13 Dec 2002 11:11:33 -0700

Dan Adams - infoChi@infomagic.net
http://dana.ucc.nau.edu/~dpa3

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-sword-devel@crosswire.org
[mailto:owner-sword-devel@crosswire.org] On Behalf Of Chris Little
Sent: Friday, December 13, 2002 8:19 AM
To: sword-devel@crosswire.org
Subject: Re: [sword-devel] Psuedopigrapha

I'll post my 1 Enoch source text so you can have something to examine
and
model off of.

Diatheke isn't curently set to handle GenBooks, but it's a future goal
and
shouldn't be difficult to implement (in theory).  Doing a good interface

might be a bigger problem.

Having considered this problem myself, I can tell you that, for the most
part, CCEL just has books copied from the Non-Canonical Homepage
(wesley.nnu.edu) (except resources that are different).  And the
Non-Canonical Homepage has data in a pretty poor state.  Most of the
texts
are scans from R.H. Charles' work, without any cleanup.  The problem
with
this is that verse numbers in APOT are in the margin, but actual verse
breaks happen mid-column, so lots of verse numbers need to be moved
before
anything else can be done.  This might be a good distributed editing
project, though I don't know whether it falls better in CrossWire's or
CCEL's domain.

Essentially, you'll need to do something like

$$$1Enoch/1/1
Enoch woke up one morning and decided to write a book.... $$$1Enoch/1/2
In his book...

etc.

We need to decide on regularized book names (for which we should
probably
use SBL abbreviations, so I'll post a list that I compiled a while ago)
and we need to decide whether to do collections of books or individual
books as modules (I would opt for the former, collecting books from APOT

into a single module, for example).

But if we do an Apocrypha module, we should do that separately.  We also

would need to decide which translation to use for this, unless someone
decides to implement Apocrypha support in Sword very soon, in which case

we can just add them to individual modules that require them.

--Chris