[sword-devel] kjv2003: two splits needed?

Eeli Kaikkonen sword-devel@crosswire.org
Fri, 13 Dec 2002 00:26:30 +0200 (EET)

On Wed, 11 Dec 2002, Keith Ralston wrote:

> I had placed the question of implied verbs to the group.  No one responded.
> In each of these cases, I am comfortable with my method for handling the
> tags.  I am looking for consensus in order that we might have consistency.

Consistency is very important if we want our work to be reliable for any
use. As far as I know KJV is famous for being consistent considering
words and syntax. Readers have to know that we have consistent tagging
everywhere.

> Myself and many others interested in the project use it for research.  I
> want it tagged correctly.

Of course. That's why I was asking in the first place :) I just meant
that usually the Greek/KJV relation is quite clear, but interpretations
about meaning and shades of syntax may vary a lot. Maybe I am talking
too much...

> The approach taken by the KJV interpreters is
> clear.  They treated the article as a pronoun.

Still I'm not convinced. But don't take mee too seriously, I'm stubborn.
I left a note with this verse and you can contribute by telling your
opinion.

> > Meddling with semantics would be for experts only.
>
> You keep referring to experts.  What is your criteria for an expert?

I can read Greek Testament, Moulton's grammar, BAGD lexicon etc. as you
have seen. I have also soon done my first Greek course in university.
Still I don't consider myself as an expert. Expert has read many books
and articles about grammar and have understood most of what they have
said. He also has access to specialized books and articles to solve
questions like this. He can speak fluently about grammar and other
things with scholarly terms.

You have seen what kind of discussion arises when we talk about
different interpretations of syntax. If we tried to explain Greek
syntax (e.g. subject, object, predicative, relative clause, main clause)
I wouldn't be able to do that. There would be too much advanced
questions and discussion. The skills I mentioned would be needed for
that kind of things.

But I really don't know how "expert" you all are or how many "experts"
there are amongst you. Maybe doing basic Greek grammar tagging is
possible. Subordination of words and clauses might not be too
complicated and time-consuming.

Please notice that I'm not talking about this project here. We will have
good usable module here if we have consistent tagging and justifications
for our decisions. Tagging the grammar or something like that would take
much more effort.

  Sincerely Yours,
      Eeli Kaikkonen <eekaikko@paju.oulu.fi> Suomi Finland