[sword-devel] clean bible or bad phantasy?

John Gardner sword-devel@crosswire.org
Wed, 4 Dec 2002 15:04:57 -0800

I believe some entertain a certain fear that we just HAVE to have the
absolute real thing.
There are actually two fears that mix together sometimes:
1)  We have to have the original or as close to it as possible or somehow
we'll be greatly deceived.
2)  We can't have man messing with it (i.e. translating it)

The scriptures actually address these issues.
1)  Christ himself (and the apostles) quoted the septuagint (as opposed to
the original hebrew) as authoritative.
2)  Everything WE do is mixed with ourselves, whether it is preaching,
giving, singing, or praying.  Yet it the scriptures teach us that for
Christ's sake, they are accepted.  Even when imperfect (and they always are)
in themselves.
3)  God has given us a teacher, his Spirit.
4)  The scripture abundantly teach that those who seek for truth find it.

Some of the godliest saints (e.g. John Bunyan, Peter, John) were not
scholars, didn't know textual criticism and didn't sweat it.  They loved God
and preached in power using what they had (John Bunyan used the Geneva bible
most likely as the KJV wasn't even around yet.) and in some cases what they
didn't (some notable saints were illiterate).

Usually if someone is too focused on the originality and accuracy of the
text they have more of a problem with obedience than with the text (from
personal experience with myself).