[sword-devel] clean bible or bad phantasy?

sword-devel@crosswire.org sword-devel@crosswire.org
Tue, 03 Dec 2002 16:30:59 +0500

> I would say that if you can take out the accents and vowel marks, you
> ought also to be able to hide the word breaks. It would be great if
> someday the scholar could have a small note on questionable passages
> where multiple renderings are possible... and with the touch of a
> button, the words could reorganize themselves across breaks or change
> their vowels/accents. Why the heck not? if someone wants to do it,
> that's great!

1. I never have heard about different word break variant in Hebrew Bible. The
Original is with word breaks. Not sure whether it was intention of God that we
would rearrange the given by Him word breaks, however one should try and check
whether the resulting texts are meaningless and not false.

2. Accordingly the information I have the first Greek manuscripts are without
breaks. It would so allow several variants of breaking in many verses. The
problem here is that it is just a rather big hard work to find all (or even
some) the variants... so detailed studying of it is of a far future from now.
--
Victor Porton (porton@ex-code.com)