[sword-devel] ThML in Personal Commentary

Chris Little sword-devel@crosswire.org
Sun, 11 Aug 2002 23:57:17 -0700 (MST)

>From what you say, everything is working as expected.  We only support a
subset of tags in ThML that we have found useful.  We could add more if
they are needed, but the two examples you gave wouldn't be contenders for
addition to Sword.

On Sun, 11 Aug 2002, Ed Sylvis wrote:

> SourceType=ThML is in conf file
>
> <scripRef>xxx yy:zz</scripRef> works OK
>
> <foreign lang="el">logos</foreign> does not work.

I assume you would expect this to render in a Greek font, but this tag
really just say "whatever is inside me is in Greek".  It doesn't indicate
that rendering should be different, because greek transliterated into
latin could still be embedded in a foreign tag.  So really, this tag is
functioning fine since it shouldn't cause any effect in Sword.

> foreign lang="el" style="Font-family: SIL Galatia">logov</foreign> does not
> work.

This is CSS rather than ThML.  We won't be dealing with styles for some
time to come.  (I know ThML uses CSS extensively, but we're not especially
motivated to deal with all of that right now because it tends to just make
really messy documents.)

If you really feel like you need to change the font, I think standard HTML
whenever possible.  (Not having followed development very closely, I don't
know whether this is possible in the personal commentary, but if it is
then that's the way to go.  You'll be happier in the long run.)

--Chris