[sword-devel] win32 beta V

Christian Renz sword-devel@crosswire.org
Sat, 10 Aug 2002 13:16:15 +0800

>correctly. However in the personal commentary, the Thai book name was not
>displayed correctly (upper ANSI characters instead).

That is a different issue -- the personal commentary does not seem to
be able to deal with Unicode at the moment. Give them guys some time :-)

>I don't know how it is possible to properly display International languages
>in a program as it moves across different Windows platforms. It is extremely
>difficult without having multiple versions for different OS's. (Thanks MS.)

For search lists, dictionary keywords, bible texts etc.: The program
needs to handle outputting Unicode itself, that is: draw e.g. the
drop-down boxes itself instead of letting Windows handle that. Tedious
work that Troy thankfully mostly completed.

For menus, dialog boxes etc.: It probably *could* be done (menus also
support owner-draw items), but it is quite tedious as well. I think we
won't see general support for any lcoale on an english version of
Windows soon in sword. Especially since I don't think it's worth the
effort -- I can see how one wants to use e.g. Thai bible texts,
Chinese dictionaries, Greek entries in the Personal commentary, and
search for Hebrew text; but if you are having an english version of
WIndows, you should be able to deal with english dialogs and menus.

Greetings,
   Christian

--
crenz@web42.com - http://www.web42.com/crenz/ - http://www.web42.com/

"The human mind has no more power of inventing a new value than of
imagining a new primary color, or, indeed, of creating a new sun and a
new sky for it to move in."  -- C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man