[sword-devel] BHS beta posted

Don A. Elbourne Jr. sword-devel@crosswire.org
Wed, 7 Aug 2002 22:36:06 -0500

I finally got my installation to render the BHS using the unicode font, but
it still does not look correct.

http://elbourne.org/sword/bhs_unicode.jpg

For example, in Genesis 1:1 the third word, "Elohem," the holem that should
be over the lamid is stuck off by itself.. There are several other problems
with the location of the points. The family of Ben Asher would roll over in
their grave if we released the text in this condition. :)

I mentioned the problem to Chris on IRC but I had to go and we were not able
to finish the conversation. If I remember/understood correctly the problem
is with the RTF control or some such thing-a-ma-bob. I'm thinking that until
something better comes along that can render the unicode correctly, perhaps
using the SIL Ezra Hebrew TT font might be a better solution.
http://www.sil.org/computing/fonts/silhebrew/

This is not to mention the fact that the Hebrew in the MS Arial Unicode is
just plain ugly. This might be a little off-topic, but is their any
opensource GPL type of initiative to create a unicode font? I might be
interested in helping out with the Hebrew.

 BTW, the way I got the unicode to display was quite strange. I had the
Arial Unicode MS selected in Sword and I checked the bhs.conf file it was
also listed there. When I try everything else, I usually start banging the
thing with a hammer, so I removed the "Font=" line from the conf file all
together. I restarted Sword. Everything looked the same. I put the line back
in and restarted again, and presto, the unicode font displayed. I have no
idea what that means, but that is what I did.

by grace alone,

Don A. Elbourne Jr.
http://elbourne.org