[sword-devel] BHS beta posted

Chris Little sword-devel@crosswire.org
Sun, 4 Aug 2002 14:03:43 -0700 (MST)

On Sun, 4 Aug 2002, Jason and Larua Brooks wrote:

> I have looked around for the MS Arial Unicode set, but it doesn't seem to be available anymore.  Can someone point me to it online, or possibly to a viable substitute?  I am running Win XP Home, and can display the Hebrew characters, but they are very poor.  Don's screenshot looked much nicer and legible than mine.  BTW, the text is fine with XP Home.
>
> Thanks,
> Jason Brooks

It looks like MS decided to pull the download.  This isn't a big deal
because the only module we had recommended using this for was the
WebstersDict module.

We have and shall continue to recommend using Code2000 for the BHS.  Sans
Serif fonts for Hebrew aren't very legible to folks who are used to
working with Hebrew for Biblical stuff.  If you're used to reading modern
Hebrew in newspapers or such, that's a different matter.  So Arial Unicode
MS has always looked pretty horrible for the BHS.  I don't believe it even
has the cantillation points for that matter.

--Chris