[sword-devel] Beta S bug

Chris Little sword-devel@crosswire.org
Fri, 2 Aug 2002 14:37:42 -0700 (MST)

On Thu, 1 Aug 2002, Troy A. Griffitts wrote:

> >>[a-z,A-Z,0-9,_] are the only valid characters in module names.  The
> >>module name should be changed.
> >

> > Because?
>
> This standard is necessary for problems exactly as the one you've
> experienced in the win32 frontend.  These are internal names that need
> to be usable in standard encoding mechanisms such as programming
> languages, XML, HTML, etc.  Please change your modules to adhere to
> these restrictions and everything will work fine in the most possible
> situations without extra work from others.

Ok....  So can you actually cite a standard you are adopting here?

[a-zA-Z0-9_] is not sufficient.  Using a standard of [source language
id][separator][destination language id] is the only reasonable way I've
thought of for naming glossaries in a consistent manner.  That requires
using [a-zA-Z0-9_\-] for the language ids plus one additional
non-alphanumeric character to separate the ids.

We can adopt XML Name, confined to Latin-1, if you would like.  That
adds [:\.] to the options but requires that the first character be
in [a-zA-Z_:].

Alternately, we could add a safename() member to SWModule that takes the
module name and returns a version where all characters outside of
whatever you decide on are converted to characters within whatever you
decide on.

--Chris