[sword-devel] CVS question

Bobby Nations sword-devel@crosswire.org
Mon, 01 Apr 2002 21:24:05 -0600

Nathan,

Yep, you've assumed correctly, that's a CVS keyword.  All you need to
put in your code is the "$Id$" and CVS will expand out the rest, or you
can copy and paste one from anywhere into your code.  CVS will replace
the relevant portions the next time that you check you code into the
repository..  If you're curious, the text that gets put there is the
file name, it's revision number, the date/time of the last change to the
file, the culprit's (:-) login name and the tag associated with the
file.  There's lots of info available on CVS at
http://www.cvshome.org/docs.  The book written by Karl Fogel is just
about the best around to get you up and running on it.

Many folks assign the keyword to a string variable that can be parsed
later on for useful information like so.

//
// Beware ... Java code follows :-)
//
public class VersionedClass {
    public String version="$Id$";
}

This is particularly useful if you're debugging a product that has gone
out the door (i.e. your exchanging emails with poor hapless user) and
you need to verify which version of a particular class is in the binary.
 If you've built in a mechanism for printing out the 'version' variable,
then , voila the mystery will be solved.  I use this at work for
distributed components such as CORBA, EJB's, servlets and cgi programs
when I need to debug an installed application that might have been there
for some time.

BTW, I'm jealous of you being able to work in Mac OS X.  Can't wait
until I get the money scraped together to get am iMac for myself.  What
a sweet, sweet little machine, and decently priced for an Apple product.

Cheers,

Bobby