[sword-devel] Fresh meat available!

skip gaede sword-devel@crosswire.org
Wed, 19 Sep 2001 12:15:36 -0400

Greetings,

I sent this info to Troy, who suggested I might want to post it to the "list".

I would like to help with this project. I have been working for the past
three years on converting Calvin's Commentaries from RTF format to (ThML,
XML, HTML and OLB formats), and I think we've been pretty successfull. (The
results of our labors are online at
http://www.ccel.org/c/calvin/comment3/comm_index.htm ).

As well as being a committed Christian, I'm a recent convert to Linux, and
I'd like to see something like Sword be successful on Linux.

Hardware / Software:
My home system is an Athlon 1200 MHz with 256 MB memory. It boots Win98,
Windows 2000, and several flavors of Linux.

Software background:
I have done most of my work (20 years) in C, but have done a couple of C++
enhancements. I am an intermediate Perl monger, and have experience in
software installation issues. I have written VBScript and PerlScript, and
even a small Foreground/Background operating system in assembler about 30
years ago. I have to admit I ran across SWORD as a result of vising Harry
Plantinga's web site earlier today, and from what I've seen, it looks a lot
like the Online Bible product.

What project?
What are the SWFilters written in? I've had to delve into the RTF syntax
rather heavily in order to generate inline footnotes for the Calvin project.
I have limited C++ exposure, but several years of working with Perl, and
about 20 years of writing C code. I might be a candidate for implementing
the compression classes, since they have already been designed. I'm
willing to learn, and would willingly take on any project you might assign.
I hope to complete many of them over the next few years.

Blessings,
Skip