[sword-devel] Unicode fonts on Win95/98/98SE/Me

Chris Little sword-devel@crosswire.org
18 Sep 2001 20:53:21 -0700

> The font that windows has is "Symbol" font.  According to what I understand (and I admit that most of this is Greek to me) that font is not mapped to unicode.
>
> I know that Logos uses fonts sold to them by Lingusist Software.  Or rather they used to use them - they changed the fonts used by their Greek books several years back.
>
> On-Line Bible (OLB) also uses a special Greek font.
>
> I would be glad to upload (or attach) copies of those fonts for development use.

We're committed to using Unicode because it's a good standard, it allows
reliable searching, etc.  There is a way to install Greek (and Hebrew,
Chinese, etc.) fonts on Win9x, as opposed to the Symbol font, which is
intended for use in mathematical and other formulae--I just don't know
the specific mechanism for installing them. :(

I'll look into it and install Win98 on an old computer if no one posts a
method by the weekend.

--Chris

<feature request-related replies follow in a separate response>