[sword-devel] More Splashes

Trevor Jenkins sword-devel@crosswire.org
Thu, 25 Oct 2001 16:22:08 +0000 (GMT)

On Thu, 25 Oct 2001, Ford J. Shortland <zentrix@dingoblue.net.au> wrote:

> I know I dont put much into this, but is there or are you able to make a
> splash screen for linux,

I've been watching the thread on these splash screens for a while now. The
mention of linux above has caught my attention :-) in an otherwise very
subjective discussion. There's one question that I haven't see posed
(forgive me if it has).

"Why have a splash screen at all?!!!" Whenever I see a splash screen on a
Apple Mac or a Windows PC I think --- bloated code. The screen is there to
entertain me whilst things are initialised. But I'm NOT entertained rather
I'm annoyed. Maybe the first time I see a splash screen I might enjoy the
pretty picture but after the second time or the hundred and second time
the screen merely irritates. Much initialisation is unnecessary at program
start; it could be delayed to a later point in the execution cycle of the
program. I'd rather that intitialisation time were spread throughout the
execution life-cycle of the program. Why should I wait for a print class
to initialise if as I start the program it is not my intention to pront
anything out.

I would rather that time spent creating splash screens was given over to
optimising the code, particularly to delaying initialisation until such
time as the functionality is requested.

> Picky arn't I!

But not as harsh as me. :-|

Regards, Trevor

British Sign Language is not inarticulate handwaving; it's a living language.
Support the campaign for formal recognition by the British government now!
Details at http://www.fdp.org.uk/ or http://www.bsl-march.co.uk/

--

<>< Re: deemed!