[sword-devel] Announce: Sword/PDA for the Agenda PDA

Chris Little sword-devel@crosswire.org
Mon, 22 Oct 2001 07:45:02 -0700

I agree, this is really, really cool. :)  Feel like working on the WinCE
port? ;)

I think we've had some suggestions before that we use a similar type of
index-based compression.  The ZIP/LZSS block compression we use now
works really well, I believe, and gets module sizes down to the same
range of about 1.5 to 2 mb for an OT & NT set in Latin-1.  (Unicode
texts will be a little larger until we get SCSU working and in use.)

I assume index-based compression could actually improve standard search
times if we rewrote the search engine to make use of it directly,
whereas ZIP compression increases search times.  But with regular
expression searches, the index-based compression would increase search
times even more because we'd end up having to reconstruct ever verse
anyway.

--Chris