[sword-devel] expanding the Sword canon

Chris Little sword-devel@crosswire.org
Fri, 23 Nov 2001 20:00:04 -0800

As I'm sure many of you know, Sword is currently limited to the 66 book
canon of the Protestant Bible.  That leaves us unable to handle other
important canons and the Apocrypha.  I would propose expanding our
"canon" to 88 books that cover every book used in Protestant, Catholic,
& Orthodox churches and it all original language texts (BHS, GNT, LXX, &
Vulgate).  I think our current canon should comprise the first 66 books
in any case, but we may want to set up a mechanism by which books can be
re-ordered so that, for example, the Catholic deuterocanon can be placed
between the OT & NT.  Ultimately, we should probably use whatever is
chosen by OSIS for their canon, but I would like to propose a list (the
same as I will propose for OSIS) in case anyone has feelings that
more/fewer books should be included....

Additional books from the Catholic deuterocanon:
Tob		Tobit
Jdt		Judith
WisSol	Wisdom of Solomon
Sir		Sirach/Ecclesiasticus
Bar		Baruch/1 Baruch
1Mac		1 Maccabees
2Mac		2 Maccabees

Additional books from the LXX:
1Esdr		1 Esdras/3 Ezra/Esdras A
2Esdr		2 Esdras/4 Ezra/Esdras B
3Mac		3 Maccabees
4Mac		4 Maccabees
Odes		Odes of Solomon
PssSol	Psalms of Solomon
PrMan		Prayer of Manasses
LetJer	Letter of Jeremiah

Additional book from the Vulgate:
EpLao		Epistle to the Laodiceans

Additional books from the Orthodox canon:
1En		1 Enoch/Ethiopic Apocalypse of Enoch
Jub		Jubilees

Additional books from the Apocrypha (additions to canonical books named
separately in Protestant printings):
AddEsth	Additions to Esther
PrAzar	Prayer of Azariah/Song of the Three Children
Sus		Susanna
Bel		Bel and the Dragon