[sword-devel] compiling with gcc on windows

Chris Little sword-devel@crosswire.org
Thu, 1 Nov 2001 11:04:04 -0800

> Attached is a small patch to Makefile, Makefile.cfg,
> Makefile.post CVS 17:30 GMT that
> allows you compile libsword.dll with the mingw gcc compiler
> on windoze. (www.mingw.org) tested on windows though ought to
> work with the mingw cross compiler as well. please try it
> out if you have it.

This looks cool, but does it have any neat advantages aside from
supporting another compiler?  Will a MinGW compiled DLL be useable by
MSVC?  Our MSVC compiled DLL doesn't work too well, I think because of
the STL stuff.  And a Makefile built DLL would be a lot easier to
maintain than one built with MSVC project files.  So please tell me this
DLL can be used by MSVC. :) This is determined by the format of the .lib
file that should be generated in parallel with the .dll.

--Chris