[sword-devel] copyright issues

Don A. Elbourne Jr. sword-devel@crosswire.org
Mon, 28 May 2001 21:50:25 -0500

Chris Little wrote:
> Copyright holders are just plain foolish if they believe close source
> has any advantage over closed.  (sic I think you meant 'open')

Perhaps they are foolish, but perception is much more important than
reality. I think sometimes you guys forget that not everyone on the planet
is a programmer. When you start discussing the technicalities of encryption
and reverse engineering, you might as well be speaking Ugaritic.

It is not a mystery what the publishers want. They want a secure way of
delivering their product in a way that makes sense to them. the commercial
Bible software companies have gone to the publishers and convinced them that
they can do this. The Sword Project has not even decided whether or not it
should be done, not to mention how it would be done.

Don A. Elbourne Jr.
http://elbourne.org