[sword-devel] BibleWorks 5 user created modules

Don A. Elbourne Jr. sword-devel@crosswire.org
Sun, 20 May 2001 21:10:15 -0500

Here is a very interesting development.

Michael Bushell of BibleWorks is planning on incorporating user-created
Bible texts into his version 5.0.  Basically, users will be able to create
their own Bible texts and BW will have a built in compiler to compile them
into modules. He posted a rough draft of the process on their mailing list.
Since I did not know what the file-attachment policy was on this list, I
placed a copy of it on my server for you guys. See:

http://elbourne.org/sword/ddf.rtf

I know there is some hostility among some of you toward the commercial
software makers, but I think this development could be beneficial to
everyone. Texts prepared as modules for the Sword project could be used by
BibleWork users. I know for some of you that is not very exciting. :-) But
modules created for BibleWorks users will also have the potential of being
used by the Sword Project. I'm going to step out on a limb here and guess
the BibleWorks user base is much larger than the Sword Project community. So
being able to enlist their help might be good.

Personally, I don't have much use for bunches of English translations from
spurious sources, but I'm thinking that the BibleWorks thing might result in
a release of some good foreign language translations that do not have
copyright restrictions. whatever the case, I think that BW 5.0 will spawn
some translations being opened up for use with Sword.

For whatever it is worth, I figured you guys would be interested.

Don A. Elbourne Jr.
http://elbourne.org