[sword-devel] 1.52 & a request
Mon, 7 May 2001 22:10:05 +0200
May I ask what still has to be done before sword 1.52 can be released? It
would be nice if the release would be before the 23th, otherwise we will have
to offer a cvs snapshot for download to be used with BibleTime 1.0. This
would be possible, but a official release would be nicer. Thank you for
It seems to be my fate to be the one who is always asking strange questions
and requesting new things. Sorry.
After 1.52 there should be a major change in the way modules are created.
They should no longer be created based on FONTS (like symbol) which use a
proprietary and fontspecific encoding. They should rather be created based on
official ENCODINGS (e.g. iso8859-7 for greek). This way users can decide
which font they want to choose. It will even be possible to use an unicode
font to display every possible language. It is easy to map the standardized
charsets into unicode in the frontends. But that does not work with
Do you understand what I try to say? Imo this is something that should really
happen, because it is just sensible.
I have just looked into my sword-devel archive. There has been a discussion
in Feb 2000 concerning Unicode support in sword. Waves went high, but nothing
happened until now. IMO moving to the correct language specific charset
encodings would be a first step into this direction, and not a line in sword
code would have to be changed, because we still stick to 1 Byte characters.
Only some of the modules would have to be recoded, which could be done almost
automatically using GNU recode, I guess.