[sword-devel] Win32 Frontend Developers

sword-devel@crosswire.org sword-devel@crosswire.org
Wed, 2 May 2001 14:30:37 -0700

Hello Win32 Frontend developers,
I just recently purchased Borland C++ Builder 5.0 Professional Edition. I
haven't installed it yet but I am hoping that the Professional edition is
all that is needed to compile the new prototype frontend that Troy is
working on. My hope is that with this new toy that now I have I can use it
to help out with the new Win32 frontend. One of my main concerns is the
issue of which editions can compile and run the new Win32 GUI.
I have a concern I want to address, and my intent is to see what everyone
elses feelings are concerning this. My issue is with not being able to use
the Standard edition to compile the GUI. I am not stating that this is true,
i don't know, I am more hoping we can avoid this being true. I noticed that
the standard edition only comes with 85 VCL  components and the Professional
edition with 150+ and Enterprise with 200+. My Question is is it possible to
limit the VCL components we use to only the 85 that come with the std
edition or if really neccessary the 150 that come with the Professional
Edition.
My reasoning is that, not everone who would desire to help with the Win32
GUI can afford the $500 professional edition and I barely know anyone
willing to pay $1200 for the enterprise edition. This could really limit the
amount of talent on the development team for the Win32 GUI.
I am one such example of that issue. Even with my student discount the
Enterprise Edition would be $380, I cannot afford that, so I purchased the
professional edition, but if the Win32 GUI uses some of the components
exclusive to the Enterprise Edition I will not be able to compile the
project and therefore not be able to work on the frontend.
I get the feeling that most, if not all, of the components we need to do
this frontend come with the standard edition and if we need to we can
develop the rest ourselves. I am making the assumption that all three
editions come with the all of the GUI type VCL components and that the prof.
and ent. editions come with more of the "backend" type components that we
could, if need be develop ourselves.
Anyone have any comments? I ask this because I would like to see an
agreement amde that we only use whatever class of components we agree upon
to develop the Win32 GUI. Which will maximize talent avaiable and the tools
available to us. I am not dictating anything here I am not even
orchestrating anything, I am a mere volunteer who wants to be sure I don't
get bumped off the team one day because my professional edition no longer
compiles the Win32 frontend. I want to help. :)
In Christ,
David Trotz
P.S. This is really where the Linux GUI's have an advantage over us because
they use all free tools.