[sword-devel] beta 1.5.2 WIN32 binary available

Chris Little sword-devel@crosswire.org
Mon, 11 Jun 2001 12:37:05 -0700

If you install the locales for China, etc. the Chinese codepages should
be added to some of your existing fonts, like Arial and Times New Roman.
There is a font from Microsoft called Arial Unicode MS available at
http://office.microsoft.com/downloads/2000/aruniupd.aspx.  It has
support for the greatest number of characters, including all those in
the Unicode 2.1 spec (about half those included in the current 3.1
spec).

There's also a shareware font called Code 2000 with many characters and
a beta called Code 2001 which is the only font I've found to include
Syriac.  But this face is very unattractive.

Lots of Windows fonts, along with codepages they support are listed at
http://www.hclrss.demon.co.uk/unicode/fonts.html.

The only modules we currently have that support Unicode are ChiGU-UTF8
and LXXM.  I will try to add Webster's 1913 Dictionary in UTF-8 shortly
and a Japanese Bible in Shift-JIS with which we can start experimenting
in national/ISO-encoding to Unicode conversion filters.

--Chris