[sword-devel] Losung

Chris Little sword-devel@crosswire.org
Sat, 21 Jul 2001 16:52:23 -0700

I'd like to remove all of our Losung modules soon.  I've read through
their licensing terms and I don't believe we comply--even though I know
their interpretation of copyright law is incorrect for the US and
believe it is also incorrect for Germany.  Furthermore, think it's
somewhat pointless to have so many texts for different languages giving
essentially the same information (2 Bible verses/verse ranges per day).

In their place, I would like to create modules for each year that simply
give the date & the verse for that date.  They'll be ThML, so the front
ends can, optionally, replace the scripRef tagged text with the contents
of those verses in the translation of the user's choice.  The effect
will be to have the Losung information available for any language we
support rather than the subset of languages featured at losung.de in a
format that is considerably smaller since it does not include the Bible
texts themselves.  There shouldn't be any problems with creating a work
derived from the Losung data since you can't copyright a list.

--Chris