[sword-devel] Naming Conventions and other stuff to know

Geoffrey W Hastings sword-devel@crosswire.org
Tue, 10 Jul 2001 18:25:25 -0700

----__JNP_000_0f4f.654d.105e

On Tue, 10 Jul 2001 12:06:18 -0700 "Jonathan Hughes"
<jhughes@crosswire.org> writes:

> 'BibleCS'- This is the name of The Sword Project's win32 front-end.
> Why? Because that is what the developers call it

>  And please remember to look at it from a general users point of view.

I agree that we should look at it from the users point of view.
Every one I know that use it including myself refer to it as The Sword.
I would be willing to guess that most everyone out there who has a copy
on their computer also refer to it as the Sword.
I think most of the mail from users has referred  to it as the Sword in
some form.
I believe the general user will say "What does CS stand for?
" What kind of a logo do you make for a CS ?  :-)

'CrossWire Bible Society'- is the sponsor of The Sword Project.
'The Sword Project'-  produces the Bible software

'Sword API'- is the Sword Application Programming Interface

'Sword Module Add-ins'- is the name of the text modules
The Icon says "The SWORD Project".
The window title says "The SWORD Project".
The Help Content says SWORD Help
The Help About says "The SWORD Project".
BibleCS seems to be an in house name. The program does not convey that
name.
Martin suggested WinSword.
Since everything else seems to be called the Sword something and the
software we are speaking of naming is the product of The Sword
Project.... Winsword or Sword Bible or something like that seems to make
sense to me.

I, though I don't think like a developer, like The Sword  or the Sword.
But maybe developers are fond of CS for some reason.

If BibleCS is the name I'll get used to it. I'll think its odd but I will
get used to it. ;}

Just my thoughts and thought process.

I just asked my wife.  Her comment. "If people know it as the Sword, why
change it?"
Geoff Hastings
----__JNP_000_0f4f.654d.105e

<HTML><HEAD>
<META http-equiv=3Dcontent-type content=3Dtext/html;charset=3Diso-8859-1>
<META content=3D"MSHTML 5.50.4616.200" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY bottomMargin=3D0 leftMargin=3D3 topMargin=3D0 rightMargin=3D3>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>On Tue, 10 Jul 2001 12:06:18 -0700 "Jonathan Hughes" &lt;<A=20
href=3D"mailto:jhughes@crosswire.org">jhughes@crosswire.org</A>&gt;=20
writes:<BR></DIV>
<DIV>&gt; 'BibleCS'- This is the name of The Sword Project's win32 front-=
end.=20
<BR>&gt; <STRONG>Why</STRONG>? Because that is what the developers call it=
=20
<BR><BR>&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp;And please remember to look at it from a general =
users=20
point of view.<BR></DIV>
<DIV>I&nbsp;agree that&nbsp;we should look at it from the <STRONG>users</=
STRONG>=20
point of view.</DIV>
<DIV>
<DIV>Every one I know that <STRONG>use</STRONG> it&nbsp;including myself =
refer=20
to it as&nbsp;<STRONG>The Sword</STRONG>.</DIV>
<DIV>I would be willing to guess that most everyone out there who has a =
copy on=20
their computer also refer to it as the Sword.</DIV>
<DIV>I think most of the mail from users has referred&nbsp; to it as the =
Sword=20
in some form.</DIV>
<DIV>I believe the general user will say "What does CS stand for?</DIV>
<DIV>" What kind of a logo do you make for a CS ?&nbsp; :-)</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>
<DIV>
<DIV>'CrossWire Bible Society'- is the sponsor of The<STRONG> Sword=20
</STRONG>Project<STRONG>. </STRONG></DIV>
<DIV>'The <STRONG>Sword</STRONG> Project'-&nbsp; produces the Bible =
software=20
<BR></DIV>
<DIV>'<STRONG>Sword </STRONG>API'- is the Sword Application Programming=20
Interface <BR></DIV>
<DIV>'<STRONG>Sword </STRONG>Module Add-ins'- is the name of the text =
modules=20
</DIV>
<DIV>The Icon says "The <STRONG>SWORD</STRONG> Project". <BR>The window =
title=20
says "The <STRONG>SWORD </STRONG>Project". </DIV>
<DIV>The Help Content says <STRONG>SWORD</STRONG> Help</DIV>
<DIV>The Help About says "The <STRONG>SWORD</STRONG> Project". </DIV>
<DIV>BibleCS seems to be an in house name. The program does not convey that=
=20
name. </DIV>
<DIV>Martin suggested WinSword.</DIV>
<DIV>Since everything else seems to be called the <STRONG>Sword=20
</STRONG>something and the software we are speaking of naming is the =
product of=20
The <STRONG>Sword </STRONG>Project.... Winsword or Sword Bible or something=
 like=20
that seems to make sense to me.</DIV></DIV></DIV><BR>
<DIV>I, though I don't think like a developer, like The Sword&nbsp;&nbsp;or=
 the=20
Sword. But maybe developers are fond of CS for some reason.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV></DIV>
<DIV>If BibleCS is the name I'll get used to it. I'll think its odd but I =
will=20
get used to it. ;}</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Just my thoughts and thought process. </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>I just asked my wife.&nbsp; Her comment. "If people know it as the =
Sword,=20
why change it?"</DIV>
<DIV>Geoff Hastings</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>