[sword-devel] Latin1UTF8

Chris Little sword-devel@crosswire.org
Sat, 7 Jul 2001 14:02:33 -0700

Sorry for the combo reply. :)

> Thank you Chris I was starting to understand how "tribulation worketh
> patience."
>
> Terry

I needed it myself for the web front end, where I'm only allowed one encoding format, and I didn't want to parse the UTF-8 into ampersand codes for Unicode glyphs.  Necessity is the mother of invention. :)  It was either write a filter for the API that would be fast and useful to others to do the same function in the CGI.  Pretty easy decision.

> > But do you think it would be possible to convert the remaining latin1
> modules
> > to UTF-8?

Yes we will, but not until UTF-8 issues are worked out completely.  Until then, I'd like to only do UTF-8 versions of modules that would otherwise be impractical in a regional encoding or impossible without a font-specific encoding.

I'll look into IBM's ICU this weekend and see how difficult it would be to harness some of its power for Sword before we hit 1.6.0.

--Chris