[sword-devel] Testing Programs...

Martin Gruner sword-devel@crosswire.org
Wed, 4 Jul 2001 22:18:59 +0200

> I think once the new site is up, it would be very smart to release betas
> publicly.  Technically 1.5.2 should be considered beta, even if it is
> more stable than 1.4.7 was.  I'd like to go a tiny step further and
> suggest that we also set up a beta modules ftp site where modules would
> undergo similar scrutiny to a new version of Sword.  Believe it or not,
> database integrity has increased greatly with some of the new tools
> available to module makers, but errors do still crop up.  It might also
> give us a good way of determining which modules the public at large
> considers unorthodox.  A beta site would also give me a nice place to
> put modules that only work in with beta versions of Sword rather than
> overwriting older versions that do work with the latest release.

Great ideas! Btw: did you already incorporate the lang= tags into the
modules? Would be nice to have them sorted by moddisp.jsp... They're so many
already....

In future it would be cool to implement some way of content creation in the
frontends, so that e.g. users can correct sword modules and automatically
send the patches to a database or something like that. What do you think?
We could have some authentication mechanisms, a team of module correctors /
creators... Completely new modules could be easily created...
This is for future, but it might be worth a discussion. If we manage to get
it right with the distributed efforts we may release a _lot_ of manpower...

Martin