[sword-devel] How to write a good bug report

Chris Little sword-devel@crosswire.org
Tue, 3 Jul 2001 18:32:21 -0700

>     Now this may become a group discussion but I need some
> relevant and practical (meaning a step by step list) of how
> to write a good bug report. I would like to have this on the
> new website for people that with to be testers, so we can get
> good bug reports.

Describe the alleged bug.  What happened or failed to happen?
Describe the steps to reproduce the bug.
List your system configuration (processor, memory, OS, OS version,
version of MSIE for Windows bugs).
Identify your version of SWORD.
Identify the name and version of your front end.
And give contact information for follow up questions.

> Also where do we send bug reports to? Do we
> have any archive function so that we know what bugs we have
> fixed and the ones that still need to be fixed?

We're using the SourceForge bug tracker.  Our project page is
http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/sword.  Our bug tracker is at
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?atid=109516&group_id=9516&func=browse.

Ideally, reporters should check here first to see if the bug has already
been submitted, then submit them directly using SourceForge.  Otherwise,
they can mail sword-bugs@crosswire.org and we will enter them ourselves.

SourceForge does maintain an archive of both open and closed bugs.

--Chris