[sword-devel] Cool idea: Commercial Linux /Windows Bible program based on Sword

Martin Gruner sword-devel@crosswire.org
Wed, 31 Jan 2001 14:59:10 +0100

> At the moment we have the problem, that Bible societies won't give us their
> texts for Sword.
> I think it's too unsecure for them to give them to OpenSource programs,
> because the security system can be removed by everybody.
>
> In a closed source application this is not true, it's a program like OLB,
> Bible Workshop or another commonly used Bible application.
> The security systems can't be removed (only by good crackers), the texts
> can be encrypted with good algorithms.
>
> For this solution we need a commercial Bible program, if it's possible for
> almost all plattforms the same program.

I do not really understand this. How would the problem be solved by selling
the programs and modules? There is software contains the "commercial" modules
that users can buy, why should sword go the same way?

> My solution for this would be to put Sword under LGPL, program a good Bible
> study program and sell the program.

This will involve a lot of work, and the users of the opensource bible
programs like bibletime will not profit from it. Especially those who do not
have the money to buy a program.

What about another way to do it? For this aim it would not be necessary to
create and sell a program; it might be sufficient to change towards another
security architecture that can be published opensource; maybe just use
libraries like openssl etc. -- might be necessary anyway for not having to
use the same keys.
This way the encrypted modules would be safe; and users wanting them could
buy the modules while using their common sword frontend. Frontend programs
would not have to be changed.

> The price should be enough to cover the expenses for module licenses etc.,
> but it shouldn't by high.
> Only the commercial modules will be sold, the modules without copyright
> will be free.

Martin