[sword-devel] Open Content Creation

Joachim Ansorg sword-devel@crosswire.org
Mon, 29 Jan 2001 23:02:59 +0100

Hi!

> On Mon, 29 Jan 2001, Don A. Elbourne Jr. <delbourne@home.com> wrote:
> > I'd be interested to hear what others think. Instead of trying to wrestle
> > copyrights out of the clinched fists of those "rotten, no-good, selfish,
> > greedy, heartless, un-Christ-like, publishers" why not just create
> > content ourselves? What would be the barriers to such a project? what
> > should the goals be? What type of content should be created?
>
> I'll answer the last question first (a good Biblical principle)
> translation. But that's a huge task. Look at Eugene Petersen or J B
> Phillips. 10 years for the New Testament, which is the average for such
> work. There were over 100 people involved i the NIV tansaltion committees.
> Whilst my primary interest is in translation I've no desire what so ever
> to add to the plethora of English translations by creating another one.
> Especially as there is little to distinguish some of current FE based
> translations on the market.

Sure, this is true for emglish commentaries.
But  there are (for example) almsot no german commentaries available for free.
So I'd really prefer some user-created commentary if they do not contain
unscriptural content.

> I think it infeasible to create new content for Sword just to get around
> copyright issues. More realistically picking up some of the PD works at
> CCEL would add commentary modules.

But almost all texts on CCEL are in english.

Joachim
--
Joachim Ansorg
BibleTime - www.bibletime.de - info@bibletime.de