[sword-devel] Re: Volunteer and Project Management

Jerry Hastings sword-devel@crosswire.org
Sun, 21 Jan 2001 23:03:08 -0700

At 05:20 PM 1/21/2001 -0700, Troy A. Griffitts wrote:
>  Maybe a bulletin board type of website for
>volunteers to go, where they might see who's doing what and who needs
>help...  What do you think?  I could help with a set of JSPs that write
>to our server's database where project leads could post project status
>and direction, or even actual tasks.

Having a place to see who is doing what and what help they could use would
be nice. If the project leads could post info on what a person should look
at; API, task specifications, sample files, and sections of code, so one is
acquainted with the task, that would probably be useful.

> > I have contacted the webmaster
> > of www.kde.org and asked him for some advice about redesigning an open
> > source projects website. I can share with you these ideas if you would
> like?
>
>What do you and everyone think about using our news server for this
>list?  We had thought about moving the mailing list over to a news
>server sometime back, and had mixed sentiments.  It would give us a
>great test to see how people like the news server paradigm.  Thoughts?

I don't use my news reader much. I like getting new posts as email. But, I
do like going to a site and being able to search and view an archive of
discussions with threads. If you can set up the news server to send new
posts as email that would be great. I prefer each new post as a separate
email and not a days worth as one digest. But if you can do both, you will
make more people happy. I think egroups does all these things.

Jerry