[sword-devel] Java JNI bindings

Joe Walker sword-devel@crosswire.org
Sun, 07 Jan 2001 22:35:16 +0000

Hi,

Not sure I've seen an answer to this, and Troy may have a totally different
answer, but to me JNI is sometimes useful if the native interface you need is
very simple, and the functionallity it provides is complex, and no Java
alternative exists.

Often the complexities of debugging JNI make for a total nightmare time, and the
interface code is not intuative at all. I've been programming in Java for
several years and without doubt JNI is my worst experience. Websphere tries
hard, but JNI takes he crown for horribility.

I have some Java code to read sword data files if you are interested.

Joe.