Don A. Elbourne Jr.
Tue, 2 Jan 2001 15:05:23 -0600
Forgive my ignorance but I'm not exactly sure what "CVS" or a "snapshot" is.
I think I understand everything else you have explained. Once I get it set
up and have http://elbourne.org/cgi-bin/diatheke.pl working, I want to
create a few nifty things using Miva. Its the only scripting language I'm
real familiar with. It will be able to make a call to the http command line
and get anything I ask it for and integrate it into a dynamic web page. But
first I need to get Diatheke working. so I guess if you could get me that
snapshot we could go from there.
thanks for your help.
Don A. Elbourne Jr.
> -----Original Message-----
> From: email@example.com
> [mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org]On Behalf Of Chris Little
> Sent: Tuesday, January 02, 2001 2:00 PM
> To: email@example.com
> Subject: RE: [sword-devel] Diatheke
> First, I would strongly recommend using the latest version of SWORD from
> CVS. It has a MUCH improved version of Diatheke in it that fixes
> many bugs
> and includes support for new ThML modules. It's also easier to
> build since
> it's in the SWORD source tree already, in the apps/console/diatheke
> If you don't want to bother with getting CVS, tell me and I can post a
> snapshot online.
> > I placed all of sword-1.5.tar.gz into a directory /sword and placed
> > everything from kjv.zip into /html/sword
> > I copied the contents of /html/kjv/kjv.conf into /sword/mods.onf
> > and changed
> > the paths like this:
> You will probably find it easier to use the new module
> configuration format,
> which doesn't require copying all the module .conf files into a single big
> mods.conf file. To use it you just need to set up an environment variable
> SWORD_PATH equal to the directory containing your mods.d
> directory. In your
> case I would use /sword. You could add a line "export
> SWORD_PATH=/sword" to
> one of your startup scripts, like /etc/bashrc or /etc/profile to make this
> the default setting for all users.
> Then you can just install new modules by unzipping them into /sword. The
> .conf files will go into /sword/mods.d and the rest of the module
> files will
> go somewhere in the /sword/modules tree.
> > It took me a while to figure out this is where my stuff is on
> the server.
> > When I made this change, make worked and it created two files called
> > diatheke.o and diatheke.d
> Those are both intermediate/temporary build files. There should also have
> been a file called, simply, "diatheke". That's the actual
> executable. I'd
> recommend putting it somewhere where it is accessible by all users
> (including the httpd daemon running as user nobody) such as /usr/bin or
> The next thing you need to do is copy diatheke.pl and dia-def.pl into you
> cgi-bin directory. Now edit diatheke.pl. There are two variables at the
> beginning that need to be changed. $diatheke should be set to match the
> location of diatheke (the executable) on your machine. "nice
> /usr/bin/diatheke" is the default, so leave it if you placed diatheke in
> /usr/bin. The 'nice' should be left as well, and just tells the
> cgi to run
> the program at low priority. $sword_path should be set equal to the
> environment variable you set for the path, in your case "/sword".
> The cgi should now be set up. Loading
> http://elbourne.org/cgi-bin/diatheke.pl should give a blank page, with a
> SWORD logo at the bottom.
> should actually
> show a verse. You can use index-public.html from the diatheke
> directory as
> a template for building your own HTML interface to the CGI.
> If you have any other questions, please do ask.