[sword-devel] Re: [bt-devel] fast search

David Kahn sword-devel@crosswire.org
Wed, 07 Feb 2001 00:02:32 -0500

Trevor Jenkins wrote:

> On Sun, 4 Feb 2001, David Kahn <dkahn@cfl.rr.com> wrote:
>
> > ...  This would work
> > with the scriptures because the bible is a fixed size, so once that
> > index exists on a given word for a given version, it never changes.
>
> With the availability of books (commentaries etc) the size is not fixed.
> Signature approaches such as rushmore suffer this problem.

Yes, but the size of one given book or commentary would never change
once the book is finished.

> > Any thoughts?
>
> My experience has been with inverted file systems (15+ years in commerical
> R&D of text retrieval systems). These do not impose limitations upon the
> size of the source text.

You would be the authority with that kind of experience.

So... what exactly is an inverted file system?

> I'll dig out my notes from about a year ago when
> I first suggested a fast search feature and put together a more detailed
> specification.

That would help.

> Regards, Trevor

Thanks