[sword-devel] STEP modules - back from the dead

Dan Blake sword-devel@crosswire.org
Fri, 2 Feb 2001 22:57:08 -0500

I agree, if Sword can read other file formats, that solves many problems.
The modules come from other software so we aren't giving away any
copyrighted material and we can focus on making Public Domain modules along
with Sword.

I would really dislike seeing Sword fall into the same trap that OLB fell
into.  It went from being free, into some organization that sells CD's.
They don't even offer all of their PD/free modules for download (??ONLINE??
Bible) anymore.  I don't want to bust on OLB though, that seems like an easy
trap to fall into.  Many of the discussions for the past year have been
about trying to get copyrighted text instead of how does Sword get improved.

I hope this isn't taken the wrong way, I'm not trying to be critical.  I am
trying add more insite/counsel to the discussion of this topic.  We are
supposed to count the cost of the "wars" that we might engage in before we
jump in feet first.

Thank you for all the great work you are doing on Sword.  What was the
information about proof reading online?  That sounds like something I might
be able to do to help the Sword project.

> > Ultimately, I'd like to use the STEP module datafiles directly without
converting.

> > This may solve some of the copyright issues we're talking about now.
>
> I was thinking the same thing.
>

> > We also still need good filters.  Our RTF filters are pretty basic.

About the filters.  Has anyone looked at Microsofts site?  I seem to recall
they had some code for creating an RTF reader a few years back.  I don't
know if this would help but I could try to find it if you think it could
help.

Daniel Blake