[sword-devel] Cool idea: Commercial Linux /Windows Bible program based on Sword

Paul Gear sword-devel@crosswire.org
Fri, 02 Feb 2001 06:18:29 +1000

Martin Gruner wrote:
> > My solution for this would be to put Sword under LGPL, program a good Bible
> > study program and sell the program.
>
> This will involve a lot of work, and the users of the opensource bible
> programs like bibletime will not profit from it. Especially those who do not
> have the money to buy a program.

I think most people on this list don't want to see Sword go only
commercial, but i think Joachim was merely suggesting a closed source
program would be the best solution to the problem of secure unlocking.

> What about another way to do it? For this aim it would not be necessary to
> create and sell a program; it might be sufficient to change towards another
> security architecture that can be published opensource; maybe just use
> libraries like openssl etc. -- might be necessary anyway for not having to
> use the same keys.

It doesn't matter what security technology you choose - there is no way
you can make the key management issue go away.  You can make it less of
an issue (see my post on unlocking & stuff), but you can never make it
go away.

Paul
---------
"He must become greater; i must become less." - John 3:30
http://www.bigfoot.com/~paulgear